More hotel closures in Penang

2020-07-29

GEORGE TOWN: Hotel closures in Penang - whether temporary or otherwise - continue to rule the day in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The beach fronting 318-roomed Copthorne Orchid Hotel Penang in Tanjung Bunga appears to be the latest casualty.

The three-star property which is managed by Millennium Hotels and Resorts is expected to be fully shuttered by Aug 7.

The New Straits Times has learnt that all affected employees have been asked by management to turn up at the hotel on August 4 to receive their termination letters and benefits.

It is further learnt that the hotel has been closed since April 8 this year, when the last of its long-staying guests had checked out and it has not been fully operational since then.

Meanwhile, The Northam All Suites Hotel in the city is set to be closed for an upgrading exercise.

The four-star property with 142 rooms, is located along Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, or known to locals as "Millionaire's Row."

The fate of its employees is not known, although lorries have been spotted pulling up to the entrance of the hotel to collect mattresses and beds for removal.

In a rebranding and renovation notice posted by the hotel, it said that the hotel is closed with immediate effect for "revitalisation works and estimated to welcome guests in a completely fresh note" by the second quarter of 2022 or until further notice.

"Over the coming months, the property will see improvements being made to its guests rooms, lobby and reception area, grand ballroom, wellness spa, all-day dining speciality restaurant, bars, lounges and more.

"We are looking forward to the rebirth of the hotel that promises an unprecedented experience, consisting of exciting challenges and fresh opportunities that will arise," the notice said.

Ads